myspace layouts, myspace codes, glitter graphics

March 10, 2007

Persian Poets

I have decided to write about two famous Persian poets. I hope next time I would be able to write also about Rumi and Khayyam.

















Hakīm Abul-Qāsim Firdawsī Tūsī Ferdowsi Tousi:

He is a famous figure in Persian literature. He was born in 935 in the province of Khorasan (the north-east of Iran).He wrote Sah'nameh (shah: king, nameh: book) which is a national epic in verse.


He spent nearly thirty years for writing this great book. Iranians have been reading this masterpiece for over a thousand years. He says " I suffered during these thirty years, but I - the Ajam(non Arab) - have revived the Persian language; I shall not die since I am alive again, as I have spread the seeds of this language ..." many poets tried to write epics like Shahname but non of them could achieve Fordowsi's style and language.

One of the popular characters of shahnameh is Rostam who is a mythical hero he is able to do lots of extraordinary things. He appears in my stories such as "Haft Khan","Rostam va Esfandiar"and "Rostam va Sohrab. "Rostam and Sohrab" is a tragedy in which Rostam not knowing Sohrab's identity Rostam wounds Sohrab and in the last minutes he finds out that Sohrab is his own son.
Rostam and Esfandirar Rosatm is killing the dragon
















Khwajeh Shams al-Din Muhammad Hafez-e Shirazi

He is the most famous Persian poet. He was born in early 13th century in Shiraz. Hafez means "Knowing by heart" because he Knew Quran by heart they called him Hafez. (Some say he was really good at learning anything by heart)














He has used many poetic devices to expresses spiritual feelings of a mystic. Ambiguity is the main feature of his poems which makes it hard for ordinary people to find the meanings in poems. It is believed that the governors in Hafez period were against mysticism and this made Hafez to give an ambiguous tone to most of his poems.
In one of his poems he says.
Am I a sinner or a saint,
Which one shall it be?
Hafiz holds the secret of his own mystery...



In my view the music in Hafez poems is unique. This music can be noticed even by a non native. In most of his poems he decries Zahed (ascetic), sheikh (religious leader), and vaiez (preacher in mosque) wisely. Because he believed they had a real shallow understanding of God and religion. So he mocks them by using verbal irony and sarcastic language.


have learned so much from God
That I can no longer call myself
a Christian, a Hindu, a Muslim, a Buddhist, a Jew.
The Truth has shared so much of Itself with me
That I can no longer call myself
a man, a woman, an angel, or even a pure soul.
Love has befriended Hafiz so completely.
It has turned to ash and freed me
Of every concept and image my mind has ever known.


His Divan (collection of his poems) is really popular among Iranians. For example in shabe yalda (one of the Iranian's customs) relations gather and they read Hafez.12th of October has be called the Hafez day in Iran.







Hafez-Goethe memorial in Weimar.
hhhhhhhh
hhhhhhhhhhggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
Note: they had written thousands books on Hafez and Ferdowsi so what you just read was a drop from an ocean.
Links:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice blog.I have a manuscript in Persian with two Kings and I would be curious as to what it refers.If you want I send you a picture. A beautiful day